Hi, my name is Scott Hughes. I own and write many blogs including a Hunger and Poverty Blog and a Self-Defense Blog. I also administer many forums including the Philosophy Forums and Book and Reading Forums.
New Posts from Violence Prevention Blog
- Privacy: How Much Do They Know about You - Over the last week there has been a huge uproar over the revelation of the depths to which the NSA has been spying on American citizens without probable cause. Namely, people learned how Verizon turned over all its records to NSA, meaning the governm... read more
- Are Community Crime Watches Effective? - People can reduce crime in their neighborhoods by being aware of what is going on around them. In stable communities with many long-term residents, people tend to keep an eye out for each other. This form of law enforcement has been shown to work bec... read more
- At-Risk Youth Mentoring: a Proactive Approach - According to the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, juvenile arrest rates in the United States decreased 36 percent between 1996 and 2009. In 2009, there were 5,804 teenage arrests for every 100,000 youths ages 10 through 17 in... read more
New Posts from World Poverty Blog
- Hundreds of Millions of Dollars in Wage Theft - A recent Huffington Post article reports that Low-Wage Workers Are Robbed More Than Banks, Gas Stations And Convenience Stores Combined. Studies reveal that... read more
- Unhappy and Unsatisfied - It's been a long time since I posted regularly on this website. So I want to come back to it by telling you a little bit about how I feel... I am sad, and I don't deserve to be so sad. I am lonely and scared, and I don't deserve to be so ... read more
- How to Choose an African Charity to Support - There are thousands of charities working in Africa to support the people who live there – this is undoubtedly a great thing but it does mean that if you want to get involved and support an African charity, it can be difficult to know exactly which ... read more
Popular Philosophy Forum Topics Created by Me
How much evidence does it take to believe or to know?
204 replies. Posted August 7th in Epistemology and Metaphysics.
Does Society Need Prisons?
97 replies. Posted February 28th in Philosophy of Politics.
Live as a coward or die as a hero?
86 replies. Posted April 29th in Ethics and Morality.
Incompetence to Consent
70 replies. Posted June 03rd in Philosophy of Politics.
How do you feel about vengeance?
45 replies. Posted March 19th in Ethics and Morality.
Is faith synonymous with self-delusion?
27 replies. Posted May 16th in Epistemology and Metaphysics.