Hi, my name is Scott Hughes. I own and write many blogs including a Hunger and Poverty Blog and a Self-Defense Blog. I also administer many forums including the Philosophy Forums and Book and Reading Forums.
New Posts from Violence Prevention Blog
- Privacy: How Much Do They Know about You - Over the last week there has been a huge uproar over the revelation of the depths to which the NSA has been spying on American citizens without probable cause. Namely, people learned how Verizon turned over all its records to NSA, meaning the governm... read more
- Are Community Crime Watches Effective? - People can reduce crime in their neighborhoods by being aware of what is going on around them. In stable communities with many long-term residents, people tend to keep an eye out for each other. This form of law enforcement has been shown to work bec... read more
- At-Risk Youth Mentoring: a Proactive Approach - According to the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, juvenile arrest rates in the United States decreased 36 percent between 1996 and 2009. In 2009, there were 5,804 teenage arrests for every 100,000 youths ages 10 through 17 in... read more
New Posts from World Poverty Blog
- Re-evaluating Priorities - written by Allyssa Milán Re-evaluating my priorities. Recognizing for the 5 millionth time that I can only give so much without depleting myself. Trying to be aware of how much time, att... read more
- Poverty Infographic - Someone sent me this informative infographic earlier: What do you think?... read more
- Joelle O'Reilly-Hyland on Growing Africa's Future - There are many charities that work towards solving hunger issues in Africa by donating not only to provide ready-made food but also to provide resources to farmers and people with experience in agriculture to grow crops to feed local populations. The... read more
Popular Philosophy Forum Topics Created by Me
How much evidence does it take to believe or to know?
204 replies. Posted August 7th in Epistemology and Metaphysics.
Does Society Need Prisons?
97 replies. Posted February 28th in Philosophy of Politics.
Live as a coward or die as a hero?
86 replies. Posted April 29th in Ethics and Morality.
Incompetence to Consent
70 replies. Posted June 03rd in Philosophy of Politics.
How do you feel about vengeance?
45 replies. Posted March 19th in Ethics and Morality.
Is faith synonymous with self-delusion?
27 replies. Posted May 16th in Epistemology and Metaphysics.